Hsc'22 English Assignment 2021

  • An Assignment on the story "The luncheon" by William Somerset Maugham. 

Summary:

The story is about a lady admirer of the speaker. the speaker is a young writer who received a letter from a lady who highly praised his writing . the speaker also replied to her .one day the speaker met the lady in a five-star hotel .he was not too rich but he was flattered .he had 80 francs. requested the lady to choose the food item from the menu book .she assured that she does not eat much food.so the speaker ordered salmon fish though it that was expensive .later the speaker asked if she liked anything. the lady replied that she liked caviar though it was horribly expensive. then she enjoyed white champagne, asparagus, coffee and finally the salmon. the speaker was sweating .he was too anxious if he could pay the bill or not. He did not take anything except a mutton chop. finally, he manages the lunch paying the total amount of the whole month. 

What I Liked about "The luncheon":

I like the way the speaker narrates the story. he uses metaphors in the story. As a first-person narrator, the speaker easily depicts the inner feeling of the character. the speaker also shows humor narrating the story. for example at the end of the story he mentions today she weighs twenty-one stone.

Hsc'22 English Assignment 2021 by ChatZam


What I Didn't Like about "The luncheon":

There are a number of climaxes in the story. I do not like that flat line of the climax graph.it is not too high.it could be more interesting.


My changes in the story:

If someone asked me to change the story then I would decrease the number of climaxes. I would increase the flat line of the climax graph in high. finally, I would make the story more interesting to the reader. 


Conclusion:

Although the story has some demerits, I enjoyed the story very much.it was an outstanding story that I read in my life.